The people of St. Mary's believe that Outreach is a Gospel imperative. Led by our Outreach Committee, we actively support many agencies and projects in our community. If you would like to get involved, please contact the Rev. Geoff Evans at 933-1140, ext. 110, or by email.
Here are some of our exciting ministry opportunities:
- Birmingham Hospitality Network: St. Mary's is one of 13 participating houses of worship in the Birmingham Hospitality Network, a service designed specifically to keep homeless families together during their time of crisis. Your help is needed preparing dinners and hosting families. Volunteers are always needed! Visit BHN's website.
- Community Kitchens: Since 1980, Community Kitchens has served the homeless, the hungry, and the working poor without regard to situation or condition. St. Mary's parishioners generously give their time to Community Kitchens in the form of food preparation and distribution. Volunteers are always needed! Visit CK's website.
- GED Class for Moms: St. Mary's provides support to mothers studying for their GED, thereby helping them achieve economic independence. Both childcare for mothers and tutoring are part of the services St. Mary's offers.
- Blackbelt Appliance Ministry: Don’t Throw Away Your Used Appliances! You can make a difference the lives of those less fortunate by donating your used appliances to a deserving family in Alabama’s Blackbelt region. Jefferson College is also looking for single beds. Remodeling your kitchen? Bill can take your old cabinets off of your hands as well! Donations to this ministry are tax deductible, but NOT through St. Mary’s. Please contact Bill Ringland at 612-7738 for more details or to arrange a donation.
- Sawyerville Work Project in Hale County: As part of the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama, St. Mary's actively participates in the Sawyerville Work Project, a summer camp for economically disadvantaged Black Belt children and youth. Visit Sawyerville's website.
- Sunday Club at South Highland Presbyterian Church: South Highland’s Sunday Club is a ministry for “special needs” adults in our community: folks with mental or physical handicaps who want to feel like they belong and are loved. It’s fellowship...it’s a shared meal...it’s activities...it’s family...it’s so much more.
- Habitat for Humanity: Once a year the Young Adults from St. Mary's and All Saints in Homewoweod join forces to volunteer for this community ministry.
- Restoration Academy: Restoration Academy is a Christian school in Fairfield, Alabama. This amazing school strives to develop character in their students and to provide every student with a quality academic foundation. St. Mary's supports the work of Restoration Academy- volunteers and tutors are always needed! Visit Restoration Academy's website.
Please join us as we strive to translate the truth of the Gospel into physical action.